I printed a half issue of my zine a few weeks ago (a mini one sheet 11×17 fold-out), but have been neglecting this blog. It took me many more hours to print than anticipated because I had to redistribute the type in order to get the necessary letters four times. I had way less Bodoni (or a similar yet to be identified typeface) 18pt than I thought. I wrote out a story
I’ve finished my first two mini-printing projects: an invitation to a potluck at the print shop and a flyer for a house party we had this weekend. It was great to set type again and I think the prints turned out well considering it was my first try. The shop is in dire need of organizing and some more leading and spacing, but besides that the press runs great. Anyone in Guelph or nearby come out to see it in action this Tuesday at 7pm, 49 Alice St.
In order to get the press out of the driveway and into the shop, I had to go at the key holding the flywheel assembly in place with a blow torch. I also tried using penetrating oil but that had negligible effects. I thought it might require a special tool, but after five or ten minutes with the propane torch I just pulled and pulled on it with a hammer and it popped right out.